Thursday, March 24, 2011

5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyperstone Heist

My favorite beat em up. Sure, Streets of Rage has some banging 80's music and a black guy who's not a criminal (thank-you for racial equality Streets of Rage) but Hyperstone made me a fan of mindless violence. The Turtles say stay away from drugs kids...but kick the shit out of people dressed in bright colors. I remember an afternoon of jump kicking red foot soldiers in the sewers (YAH) and smashing mousers before the big Krang battle (YAH) and watching my bright purple donatello bars fading after that blue el camino runs me over in the first level. Rookie mistake. You go from New York to a pirate ship to a cave with yellow ALIEN clones leaping from blue water to a giant lab where mousers jump directly off the assembly line to kick ass. Quick offshoot...has anyone seen Alien 3 where they are in the prison? Who designed the computer CG ALIEN for that movie? Prolly the same guy who did the "Freddy Kruger is coming through the wall" scene in the new Nightmare. Zing!
Sometimes I go back to games for pure nostalgia, not because the game is any good (Mario Party). Other times I blow out the cartridge and jam it in the slot so I can say "Ah, don't make them like they used to, sonny jim" (Sonic 2). Or sometimes my best friend wants to see how fast we can beat Super C. Jump up and give those owls a piece! And then there are new millenium games that make my grandpa think he's watching real NBA basketball. Yes, Grandpa, I know that majority of players in basketball are black. No, I wouldn't call it a "shame". But what brings me back to games like Hyperstone are simplicity, characters, tight gameplay and only two buttons I need to worry about. Is it RB for block or..wait, dude quit freezing me...Jesus which trigger is grapple!...oh great, pulled my spine out. Real cool, Subzero. God Bless Hyperstone and its jump and punch. Enjoy the first level.


No comments:

Post a Comment