Thursday, March 24, 2011

6. Medal Of Honor

The M1 Garand. The pixelated bazooka. Some pistol I never used. Germans in their beige and hunter green uniforms rolling on the ground and casually talking around an exploding barrel. Convenient. I'd always try to sneak up and aim my shaky reticle at their heads. Their helmets must be made of lead cause head shots just popped their helmets off then you had a swarm of Nazis clamoring. Ein ven slauter von mein! Grenade. Boom. The bodies went flying. Blew my mind apart. The body movements and contortion in Medal Of Honor was the first time a video game experience seemed real. Like I could feel the warm barrel of my Garand or hear the ringing in my ears and the clink of bullets spewing from a mounted machine gun. It became real. Close to real. Even those doctors who were building some rocket ship in the mountains seemed real. Find 5 schematics. OK, 5 schematics found, now blow the shit out of that rocket. That was the plan! Blow the rocket up? Why did I spend so much time and hear the tape rip on multiple med packs to find those schematics! Not to demean Duke Nukem (although it looked like a child with a crayon drew the environments) or any other FPS that preceded Medal of Honor, but this set the standard. Sure, it's wallowing in the market where Black Ops and MW2 are flash banging their way to popularity. That drum line to start a mission is my real FPS anthem! Duh da da DUH. This Snipers got talent! Oscar Mike! I love the smell of napalm in the morning! Sorry, war flashbacks. Stay Frosty.

No comments:

Post a Comment