Wednesday, March 9, 2011

10. Pokemon (Red and Blue)

I picked Bulbasaur. I'll just get that out of the way first so you can judge where my Pokemon experience went from there. In that little room, picking between three pokeballs. Fire. Water. Earth? I guess I picked earth, or plants or whatever Bulbasaur was supposed to be. Apart from Oreo's, this was my first addiction as a human being. I don't think breast milk counts as an addiction. And I think this is also the only catch phrase invented that was actually true! You did have to catch them all. No matter how many goddam times you had to walk in the safari zone praying to stumble on a Kangaskhan. The little screen would blur to black and the music would start pumping. You ran into a pokemon! Oh God please, this one time let it be...fuck! Rattata again! Then you straight up killed him out of spite.
The open-world gameplay elements were phenomenal. Steadily pushing you forward with Team Rocket Battles and gyms to conquer but also allowing leeway to explore tall grass and get lost in the blue caves. Or swim out in the ocean and run into a million goldeens. This was the first game where I was forced to make choices. Should I save my ultra ball? Should I feel bad for team rocket? Should I evolve my pokemon? Should I save or destroy? The game offered you the questions and it wasn't until after that you realized the consequences. After living on Sonic side scrollers and bash bash bash of Street Fighter, it was a whole new world to be able to decide fates of characters. Cause really, everyone knows whats going to happen if you fight someone who is good with Dhalsim. You're toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment