Sunday, March 13, 2011

8. Super Smash Bros Melee

Game Informer has a poll on their site asking what everyone's favorite fighting game is. Super Smash received the majority vote. Guess I never thought about Super Smash as a fighting game. Guess the SMASH in the title didn't clue me in. But it beat out both Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat by 10%. Personally I'd like to see a melange. Scorpion shooting that knife on a rope at bowser and pulling out his dinosaur spine. Perchance to dream. My personal favorite was Melee for gamecube. I even played the single player for it. Bet you didn't know/care if it had a single player did you. Thats prolly because it amounted to Yoshi trying to kick a bag of sand 2,000 feet and kirby busting a certain number of signs to move on to the next level. But it seemed to be worth the tedious task of beating first player to open up Jiggly Puff...until you played with Jiggly Puff. You could lull people to sleep and then mash A and kick them into oblivion.
I can see why it's voted most popular fighter though. The variety in this game seemed more complex than other games. It wasn't just block, jump and up up A down A B to bring the ice storm. You could fuck people over. Create random alliances and then stab your partner in the back. As Young Link I'd be all over the board. Dropping bombs, slicing, dicing and praying for good pokeballs. Some people took Falcon to a corner, powered up his fire punch and then FALCON PUNCHED (Falc...Falcon...Falcon PUNCH) some poor ice climber ass hole off the board. You could be heroic or diabolic. You could wait by the edge of Green Green and DOWN B with pickachu so no one could get back on the board. That goddam lightning bolt. Or DOWN B with Donkey Kong and pound the ground for ten minutes. I'd have to sit on the other side of Hyrule and try to shoot arrows to stop the pounding. Everyone has their characters in fighting games. But with Super Smash we were playing violent with otherwise seemingly harmless characters. And once that hammer drops from the sky, time freezes, you watch it cartwheel down, then slowly Link, Kirby, Luigi and Ganandorf all sprint to it forgetting to fight each other. Then you finally grab the hammer! Everyone is already at 90%! They're as good as...shit, the top of the hammer fell off.

1 comment:

  1. The Smash Bros. games are a lot like the games I imagined when I was in elementary school, but I never thought they would actually make.

    I'm curious whether Melee is your favorite, or if Brawl is higher up the list. I like Melee best, partly because it has Dr. Mario, and partly because it doesn't have Wario. (I can't stand him.)

    ReplyDelete