Wednesday, March 9, 2011

9. The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker

This is suicide. But I don't care. If Cosmo has taught me nothing else...ahem... it's taught me to do countdowns in reverse. That way people will read about fucking Michael Cera instead of just seeing Brad Pitt is first and moving on. I'm not sure what list those two guys would be on together. Guess I'll have to pick up and Teen Vogue and see. Gamers are too busy humping Ocarina Of Time to give a shout out to any other Zelda games, especially ones where he's a kid and looks like Disney designed the environments. I guess I'm not a normal Zelda fan. I loved the cell shading. Sure, Twilight Princess was good but something about Windwaker made it exceedingly more fun. It wasn't the sailing. When you have to look for those 8 shards I wanted to smash my controller through tiny links skull. But the environments were pristine and vivid and interacted great. When I could run and suddenly halt on the beach and see sand spray or shoot arrows at the orange crabs and watch them burrow, thats when I saw where games were headed. It was complete immersion. I'd blot out time and forget about my soda condensing on the nightstand. Fighting pirates from my little boat or getting sucked up in the hurricanes or wondering how the hell I was supposed to be those screaming skeletons. I was engulfed in giant rats with rusty sabers and venus fly traps that could be taken out with one good boomerang lock on. Ocarina of Time may be one of the defining gems in the video game cannon but Windwaker was a defining game in a childhood.

1 comment:

  1. Probably my favorite 3D Zelda game. (If it's 3D, it's not a "childhood" game for me, kid.) It was a neat world to explore. I also liked all the musical stings for the sword fights.

    They really should have come up with something to do besides sailing all over the map toward the end, though. Instead of just pulling up treasure chests, I was hoping that you could get a diving helmet or something and explore submerged labyrinths.

    I'll be following your list with interest.

    ReplyDelete