Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sex, Lies, and Vanilla Coke: An Interlude

I'm not Shane.  You can call me The Trooper. And I have to get something off my chest, in light of recent criticism of a variety of things close to me. 

I believe that critical evaluations, particularly of art, are founded on a variety of factors, preeminently taste and preference. In other words, every value judgement is subject to the preference of the judge on some level or another.  Don't write me off as a post-modernist just yet.  Not that anything is wrong with that. 

Too often, we label art, in its various forms, as either good or bad. We conclude that those who cherish what we disregard are either wrong, stupid, or both. However, art isn't a math equation, with right or wrong answers that can be proved or disproved. Or is that geometry.  I guess it's all math. I'm sure there are some of you out there who could dispute that analogy, but you guys need to get a life. 

It seems to me that different people appreciate and relate to different things in different ways, according to their age, race, resources, etc.  What's beautiful or useful to one person, is ugly or useless to another.  Different hoes for different bros, as some say. 

While this is particulary true of tastes in music and women, I think it is also applicable to the world of video games. For example: you can't prove to me that Super Mario Bros for NES is the best game of all time. I can't prove it isn't. You can certainly believe it is, based on it's originality, innovation, and influence.  Conversely,  I can believe it isn't, based on the evolution in gameplay and advancement in technology since then. It comes down to what each of us values. Subsequently, I simultaneously reject absolute truth in regard to art evaluation, and champion the wild world of relativism. I made quite a leap there in the structure of my argument, but I'm honestly tired of proving what I'm saying.  You should just see what I'm saying and think I'm right.  

Anyway, I think it's important to understand that lists and value judgements, particularly as sweeping as "Best _____ of all time," are inherently subjective. So get off your  high horse, unless you're trying to be arrogant.  Then it's ok.  And no, this does not apply to pop.  Coke is better than fucking Pepsi.  Let's not get carried away with this. I mean, have you TRIED Vanilla Coke?

No comments:

Post a Comment