Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This Should Buy Me Some Time

Here I present my selective criticism and commentary on Mr. Holtzman's prosaic presentation of his favorite games of all time.  Starting with his number 10: POKEMON!


I chose Blue, for the record. And fuck Pokemon Cards!

Pokemon, wow.  This game came out when I was in 5th grade, I think.  Back then, I was rocking the original game boy, while the Lord had blessed many of my friends with rich parents who bought them game boy colors  (Can you believe it, COLOR in a hand held game system!).  Manna from motherfucking heaven I tell you.  It's too bad my Dad gambled away all my family's money. I remember going through the sunday best buy target walmart adds, drooling at the Color in it's comic sans font. Goddam COLOR! I eventually got one. But I digress. On second thought, that seemed like progress.

Pokemon was my first experience with a game that was truly addicting.  I remember trying to going to bed after my first day with the game. Emphasis on trying. I also recall waking up at 2 AM and going to the bathroom.  I remember thinking I heard the Pokemon music, and thinking the game was in my hand. It took me a second to realize I was pissing on the seat.  That's what gaming is all about.  I think. 

But in all seriousness, I would not include Pokemon in my top ten favs. That said, Pokemon was my generation's gateway drug, an introduction to addictive and immersive gameplay.   A mixture of Zelda and Final Fantasy and Tomogatchi, it set the tone for the gaming life of many. 

No comments:

Post a Comment